Consultation status: closed 16 March 2018
Proposal reference: BYL-223
We are proposing to install broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times parking restrictions) on the bend approaching the roundabout on Weatherly Road and Glamorgan Drive.
Why the changes are needed
These changes are required to improve visibility for drivers approaching the bend on Weatherly Road and to avoid conflict with oncoming traffic.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Suggestion to extend the proposed broken yellow line parking restrictions further along Weatherly Road. Our surveys show that the extension of proposed parking restrictions is not required at this location. This proposal aims to minimise the removal of on-street parking whilst improving driver visibility at the bend of Weatherly Road.
- Suggestion to extend the existing broken yellow line parking restrictions on the southern side of Weatherly Road. These suggestions will not be incorporated because removing parked cars from both sides of the bend on Weatherly Road is likely to cause an increase in the speed of traffic travelling onto Weatherly Road from the roundabout on Glamorgan Drive.
- Concerns that the parking restrictions will encourage vehicles turning from the Glamorgan Drive roundabout to travel at high speeds along Weatherly Road. Suggestions to introduce speed calming measures to combat these concerns. As the proposed parking restrictions are only around the bend after the roundabout on Weatherly Road, vehicles parked on either side of the straight section of Weatherly Road should act as speed calming measures that encourage cars to slow down. With regards to installing new speed calming measures, Weatherly Road will be prioritised and added to the Local Area Traffic Management list for consideration.
- Concerns that the proposed parking restrictions will force vehicles to park elsewhere on Weatherly Road, where there are also potential visibility issues due to the road being on a hill. The issue of driver visibility has been prioritised at the bend due to the higher risk of conflict between vehicles compared to the straight section of Weatherly Road. Also vehicles travelling up the hill will generally drive with more caution and reduced speed.
- Requests for additional works such as measures to control access onto East Coast Road from Glamorgan Drive and Glynvar Road to improve traffic flow. This request is out of scope for this proposal which focuses on parking restrictions on Weatherly Road. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please fill in a feedback form or report a problem to be fixed.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.