Rata Vine Drive and Great South Road, Wiri – Intersection Improvements Rata Vine Drive and Great South Road, Wiri – Intersection Improvements
Proposal status: Closed.
Reference number: RSU2021-069
In November 2021, we proposed changes to improve safety at the intersection of Rata Vine Drive and Great South Road in Wiri. After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
We are currently planning to start construction this 2021 - 2022 financial year, before June 2022. We will be in touch with nearby residents before any construction takes place.
Thank you to those who took the time to give us your feedback on this proposal. Here is a summary of community feedback and our responses to community questions.
- Install a signalised intersection at Rata Vine Drive and Great South Road.
Approximately 3,000 vehicles travel along Rata Vine Drive per day, while over 20,000 vehicles travel along this section of Great South Road per day. Installing traffic light at this intersection would cause significant delays on Great South Road during peak hours, especially because there is another signalised intersection only 250m north.
Turning speeds at this intersection have been high due to the wide entrance of Rata Vine Drive, which allowed two vehicles to turn out simultaneously.
This proposal will physically narrow the entrance and exit of the road by extending the kerb and lengthening the traffic island. This will lower drivers' speeds.
- The proposal does not sufficiently protect pedestrian and cyclists. Install a raised zebra crossing to improve their safety.
Vehicles approaching this intersection from Rata Vine Drive are required to stop because of the high number of cars that travel along this section of Great South Road. This proposal will further slow down drivers who are turning onto Great South Road by physically narrowing the entrance and exit of Rata Vine Drive.
The traffic island will provide additional protection for pedestrians crossing by giving them a visible place to wait while safely crossing the road in two stages.
We're proposing improvements in your area
We have a proposal to improve safety at the Rata Vine Drive and Great South Road intersection for drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians by making some changes to the intersection layout.
The proposed changes include:
- Replacing the existing “Give Way” sign on Rata Vine Drive at the Great South Road intersection with a “Stop” sign.
- Extending the solid median and the kerbs at the corners of the intersection.
- Installing a pedestrian and cyclist crossing at the intersection, which would be a crossing that provides a comfortable place on the median for people to stop and wait for a safe time to cross the street. This crossing would include short ramps on the kerbs and tactile pavers, which are yellow textured tiles that help visually impaired people find their way.
- Painting broken yellow lines (no stopping at any time lines) along the east side of Great South Road and on the south side of Rata Vine Drive at the intersection. This will remove 5 legal on-street parking spaces.
- Painting new road markings to support these changes.
Download proposal drawing (PDF 3.01MB)
The Rata Vine Drive and Great South Road is a high-risk intersection with a high number of reported crashes over the last five years, three of them serious with one unfortunately resulting in the loss of a life. We aim to improve safety for drivers on both roads by narrowing the exit from Rata Vine Drive so only driver can pull out at a time. The “stop” sign would help to encourage drivers wait for a safe time to enter Great South Road. The upgraded crossing would not give pedestrians or cyclists the right of way but the changes would make it more visible to drivers, and more comfortable for those using the crossing.
We are proposing to paint broken yellow lines to keep the Great South Road and Rata Vine Drive intersection clear. We understand that removing on-street parking can be inconvenient, but any parked cars along Great South Road would block drivers’ vision of people exiting Rata Vine Drive, or oncoming traffic on Great South Road.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Wiri: Safe with us
Auckland Transport wants to make our roads safe for everyone: for people walking and cycling, people driving, and especially for our kids and senior citizens. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).