Boundary Road and Terry Street, Blockhouse Bay – Broken yellow lines and bus stop change Boundary Road and Terry Street, Blockhouse Bay – Broken yellow lines and bus stop change
Proposal status: Feedback closed 7 May 2021. Last updated 27 July 2021
Reference number: BYL-499
In April 2021 we invited community feedback on our proposal to improve visibility and access to properties and bus stops at the Boundary Road and Terry Street intersection.
The extension to broken yellow lines and relocation of the bus stop is going ahead, but we are writing to you to let you know about design changes to the broken yellow lines and parking spaces.
A review of the proposal from April 2021 indicated that the broken yellow lines for buses to access the stop safely are no longer required, as the bus stop operates during school hours only. During these hours there is low bus service demand and as 30m of bus stop is planned, buses can safely enter the bus stop without the need for broken yellow lines. Therefore, the new plan will give residents 21m of parking area back, which will allow for four vehicle spaces.
With the new design changes this project now has a construction target of October 2021. We’ll write to you again next year with more detail about the commencement of works.
Download the proposal drawing (PDF 360KB)
In April 2021, we proposed changes to improve visibility and access to properties and bus stops at the Boundary Road and Terry Street intersection. After reviewing all the feedback we received, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. A summary of your feedback and our responses to community questions is below.
- Concern about the removal of parking spaces near the corner of Boundary Road and Terry Street.
We understand that the removal of parking is inconvenient and do our best to minimise this, whilst also providing enough clear space for drivers to have good visibility of where they are going. The broken yellow lines near this corner are required to improve safety at the pedestrian refuge island on Terry Street. We need to ensure that car drivers and people crossing the road are able to see each other.
- Concern that people park cars right up to the edges of driveways near this intersection and this makes it very hard to see what is on the road and exit safely.
The new broken yellow lines will extend to a point approximately 6m west of the entrance of the driveway to Terry Street Bible Chapel. This means that cars will not be able to park as close to the driveway as they do now. This will improve visibility for both drivers of vehicles exiting the driveway and cars travelling along Terry Street. The additional clear space on the road will also help entering the driveway as drivers will more easily be able to shift left out of the moving traffic.
- Request for more visible Stop signs on Terry Street and better road markings on Boundary Road to slow drivers down and make them more aware of the upcoming intersection. Cars speed through here which is not safe for pedestrians, especially school children.
The Terry Street intersection operates with a Stop control. This includes “Stop” road markings, a standard “Stop” sign and an additional sign to advise drivers to wait for traffic travelling along Boundary Road. The new broken yellow lines on the approaches to the Terry St / Boundary Rd intersection will improve visibility and it will be easier to see both the Stop signs and people crossing over Terry Street at the refuge island.
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area. We are proposing some changes to improve visibility at the Boundary Road and Terry Street intersection and access to properties and bus stops and we are asking your views.
The changes we are proposing:
- Extend the broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) outside 90 Boundary Road to help keep the driveway clear of stopped cars.
- Extend the broken yellow lines from outside 85 Boundary Road, around the corner into Terry Street, to connect with the realigned bus stop.
- Relocate the bus stop from 154 Terry Street to 158 Terry Street. The old bus stop markings and signage would be removed.
- Paint broken yellow lines from the new bus stop location around the corner to 81 Boundary Road.
- Install signs to show the bus stop operate only between 8-9am and 3-4pm, Monday to Friday on school days and that parking is allowed at other times.
- There would be overall loss of four parking spaces with these proposed changes, however the bus stop changes and new signage will enable parking outside school hours.
Download the proposal drawing for Boundary Road and Terry Street (PDF 357KB)
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. We are proposing these changes to improve safety and visibility at this intersection. Extending the broken yellow lines would show where people cannot park near the Boundary Road and Terry Street intersection. We aim to improve safety and visibility for people using the pedestrian refuge island on Terry Street and ensure there is enough space on Boundary Road for buses to pass through. We understand removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal of parking while maintaining clear sight lines for drivers and pedestrians and improving access for people entering and exiting their driveways.
Adjusting the school bus stop will make it easier and safer for buses to enter and leave the stops and will make them available for parking outside school hours.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Blockhouse Bay: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Boundary Road and Terry Street are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).