Travelwise is an innovative programme to make school travel safer, healthier and more fun.
The programme works with primary, intermediate and secondary schools to:
- encourage and increase use of active travel modes and public transport.
- provide safer facilities for all road users.
- reduce congestion around schools.
With Travelwise, schools create individualised Safe School Travel Plans with meaningful visions and practical actions to create a safer and less congested environment outside the school. Our whole-school approach supports and encourages your school to incorporate road safety and sustainable travel into school culture, governance and long-term planning.
Travelwise also offers a wide range of resoures and opportunities to participate in regional activities and campaigns.
Encourage primary school students to be safe, get out of the car and be active.
Road safety education and developing students' leadership skills with Travelwise.
Travelwise for secondary schools programme for road and driver safety and student leadership skills.
Travelwise awards and events
Find out about our award-winners and the latest Travelwise events.
Travelwise programme aims to equip teachers with tools to encourage safe behaviour and sustainable travel habits.
Cycling and scooting
It is important for all children to have the opportunity to cycle or scoot to school.
Road safety around schools
Road safety resources for schools.
Safe school travel plans
A Safe School Travel Plan is an action plan for road safety and active transport.
Getting parents involved
Ways to involve parents in helping educate students on road safety and active transport.
For a safe school travel plan to be successful the following 3 key components must be considered every step of the way:
Schools use student-centred, curriculum based strategies to enhance road safety and active transport knowledge and awareness across all year levels.
- Road safety and active transport education programmes are embedded in a curriculum framework.
- School management supports staff to implement road safety education.
- Use student-centred, interactive strategies.
- Actively engage students in skill development.
- Help students to influence their peers as safe road users.
Ethos and organisation
School provide and reinforce consistent, culturally-considerate road safety and active transport messages to their school community.
- Wider school community are consulted when developing and reviewing road safety and active transport plans, policies and procedures.
- School management actively promotes and supports road safety and active transport.
- School staff model appropriate road safety behaviours and attitudes.
- Review the school traffic environment.
Parents and community
Schools show their commitment to road safety and active transport through their policies, school environment and culture.
- Parents provided with information to reinforce road safety and active transport messages and skills.
- School community consulted to reinforce safety and active transport messages and skills.
- Collaborate with other school programme stakeholders to complement school road safety programmes.
- Encourage road safety and active transport through community events and projects.
- Work with other Auckland schools to promote road safety and active transport.
Since its inception in 2005, the Travelwise programme has contributed to long-term safety benefits and reduced congestion around Auckland schools. Achievements include:
- Over 250,000 students involved in the programme.
- 75% of all Auckland school-aged students attend a Travelwise School.
- 58% reduction in crashes around schools that involve pedestrians and cyclists aged 5 to 13.
- 12,736 car trips taken off the road in the morning peak.
- About $20.35 million a year saved on congestion - that's 2,596,000 kilometres in car travel or about 150,000 litres of fuel!
- Reduced CO2 emissions by 735 tonnes each year.