Travelwise is an innovative programme to make school travel safer, healthier and more fun.
The programme works with primary, intermediate and secondary schools to:
- encourage and increase use of active travel modes and public transport.
- provide safer facilities for all road users.
- reduce congestion around schools.
With Travelwise, schools create individualised Safe School Travel Plans with meaningful visions and practical actions to create a safer and less congested environment outside the school. Our whole-school approach supports and encourages your school to incorporate road safety and sustainable travel into school culture, governance and long-term planning.
Travelwise also offers a wide range of resoures and opportunities to participate in regional activities and campaigns.
For a safe school travel plan to be successful the following 3 key components must be considered every step of the way:
Schools use student-centred, curriculum based strategies to enhance road safety and active transport knowledge and awareness across all year levels:
- road safety and active transport education programmes are embedded in a curriculum framework
- school management supports staff to implement road safety education
- use student-centred, interactive strategies
- actively engage students in skill development
- help students to influence their peers as safe road users.
Ethos and organisation
School provide and reinforce consistent, culturally-considerate road safety and active transport messages to their school community:
- wider school community are consulted when developing and reviewing road safety and active transport plans, policies and procedures
- school management actively promotes and supports road safety and active transport
- school staff model appropriate road safety behaviours and attitudes
- review the school traffic environment.
Parents and community
Schools show their commitment to road safety and active transport through their policies, school environment and culture:
- parents provided with information to reinforce road safety and active transport messages and skills
- school community consulted to reinforce safety and active transport messages and skills
- collaborate with other school programme stakeholders to complement school road safety programmes
- encourage road safety and active transport through community events and projects
- work with other Auckland schools to promote road safety and active transport.
Since its inception in 2005, the Travelwise programme has contributed to long-term safety benefits and reduced congestion around Auckland schools. Achievements include:
- over 250,000 students involved in the programme
- 75% of all Auckland school-aged students attend a Travelwise School
- 58% reduction in crashes around schools that involve pedestrians and cyclists aged 5 to 13.