We are upgrading Carrington Road to support local development and growth.
On this page
Carrington Road is an important north-south arterial route connecting Mount Albert with Point Chevalier and Waterview. Every day, people use Carrington Road to access Mount Albert Train Station, SH16, the Northwestern Cycleway, and local homes and businesses.
The Carrington residential development around Unitec will create up to 4,000 new homes. The Carrington Road Improvements project will support this growth, and growth in the wider area, by reshaping this 1.7km corridor to better provide for people movement and safety.
The project is currently within the Detailed Business Case phase. A Detailed Business Case will establish a preferred option for the corridor upgrade, its layout, and staging.
This project aims to:
- deliver a Detailed Business Case that identifies a preferred option for Carrington Road and sets out a path for it to be designed and constructed
- enable growth and reduce emissions by upgrading Carrington Road in a way that reduces reliance on private vehicles and promotes greater uptake of public transport, walking, and cycling
- collaborate and integrate with other projects, including the New North Road Upgrade project, and the Carrington residential development.
When complete, this project will:
- improve efficiency and reliability of bus services
- improve access to a wider range of transport choices
- support local development and growth
- provide more options to safely cross Carrington Road
- expand Auckland's network of connected cycleways.
In 2022, we consulted on a proposed upgrade to the existing Carrington Road cycleway. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback.
The Carrington Road Improvements project recently gained funding through the Government's Infrastructure Acceleration Fund. The project has been brought forward for early delivery to support housing development and growth in the area.
The Improvements project includes an upgraded cycleway and we will consider the community feedback we received in its design.
November 2022 - Project start
Mid-2023 - Public consultation
Late 2023 - Draft Detailed Business Case
Early 2024 - Detailed Business Case completed
2024 to 2025 - Design development
2025 to 2027 - Construction