Proposal status: Feedback open until 4 October 2023
Reference number: SSM2122-018
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area.
We are proposing improvements to make it safer for students at Waimahia Intermediate School and Te Matauranga School in Manurewa to get around.
We are proposing to:
Install new raised zebra crossings near Waimahia Intermediate School and Te Matauranga School.
Install tactile pavers near the crossings. These are yellow guidance paving markers to help people find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
Paint new road markings and install signage to support the changes.
Some parking will need to be removed near each crossing to make sure motorists and people waiting to cross the road can see each other. We understand that parking removal can be inconvenient, so it will be minimised to only what’s necessary to make the crossings safe to use.
We’re also proposing improvements to the bus stops to make them safer to use as part of this project. There’s more information about all the changes on the drawings included with this letter.
This project in Weymouth contributes to Tāmaki Makaurau’s Vision Zero goal as it would:
- Slow motorists to a safer speed.
- Raise pedestrians, especially children, crossing the road to be at eye-level of approaching motorists, making them easier to see from a distance.
- Improve visibility between motorists and people waiting to cross the road.
- Make it more comfortable for everyone, including people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross the road as the crossing is level with the footpath.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
• This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Manurewa: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Weymouth Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).