Thank you Walking School Bus volunteers
We want to say a huge thank you to all our wonderful volunteers for all that you have done. You are the reason our Walking School Bus programme continues to thrive and for making kids' travel to school safe and fun.
To express our appreciation and gratitude, we would like to send each of you a little something from the AT Walking School Bus team. The gifts can either be sent to the route coordinator who will help share with all volunteers on the route, or you can choose to receive your gifts individually. It would be great if you can have a chat with your route coordinator to decide how you would like this to be done.
An EDM with a link to register has been sent to all coordinators and volunteers. Alternatively, check out our Facebook group pages for the link.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with your AT WSB area coordinators. Thank you!
About Walking School Buses
A Walking School Bus is similar to a normal school bus except children walk to and/or from school along a designated route, under the supervision of adult volunteers (often parents), who act as the Walking School Bus driver.
Walking School Buses reduce the number of cars on the road, making our environment safer and cleaner, and they provide exercise for children in a fun and social way.
How a Walking School Bus works
What you need to know about Walking School Buses.
Schools with Walking School Buses
Find a school with Walking School Buses.
Volunteer information & resources
Information and resources for Walking School Bus volunteers.
Start a Walking School Bus
Find out how to start a Walking School Bus.
Walking School Bus safety
How we keep Walking School Buses safe, learn about a sneaky driveway and other important safety tips.
Winter Wizard 2021
Winter Wizard Month is an event that promotes the Auckland Transport Walking School Bus programme. Walking School Buses can go into the weekly competition to have a surprise visit from our Winter Wizard.
Benefits of the Walking School Bus
- Children enjoy meeting up and talking to their friends.
- They gain a sense of independence.
- Friendships develop across different age groups.
- They learn about road safety from a pedestrian’s perspective.
- They develop a positive attitude towards walking.
- Improve their overall health and decrease obesity levels.
- Daily exercise can aid academic achievements, as it helps improve concentration, memory and learning.
- Kids just love the fun, organised activities and resources.
- Enjoy extra free time when you do not have to drop off or pick up your children every day.
- Get to know the families in your neighbourhood.
- Save on fuel costs.
- Learn new skills from the optional workshops provided. All workshops have certificates suitable for a CV.
- Have the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping the school, your child and other children.
- Take advantage of the routine exercise walking to school provides.
- Help make your school safer by reducing the congestion around the school gate.