For our committed Walking School Bus volunteers, here you can find some useful information, tools and resources to set up, organise and manage your Walking School Bus.
Image: Walking School Bus volunteers for Torbay School.
When the responsibility of getting children to and from school is shared among a group of parents, it can lead to more free time for everyone. For example, if you are 1 of 5 volunteers for your bus route and you commit to operating the bus 1 morning a week, you're free to get to work without the stress of dropping off your child (or children) the other 4 days. This also gives you one morning to spend some time with your kid(s) and their friends.
Bikes and scooters
As adult volunteers, it is you who decides whether you can control a group of children walking, riding bikes and riding scooters. If you feel it is too difficult and that safety would be compromised, you can remind children that it is a Walking School Bus (not a riding one).
Wet weather days
Wet days are when congestion at the school gate is at its worst, so everyone benefits if the Walking School Bus operates. Get out your wet weather gear and see what different creatures venture out in the rain. Ultimately, it is the volunteer who operates the bus who decides whether or not to operate in wet weather, so discuss this when you start the bus so that everyone knows what to do when it rains.
Safety guidelines for Walking School Buses and volunteers
- Learn about Walking School Bus safety.
- Read the road safety guidelines for Walking School Bus volunteers.
The Walking School Bus merit scheme
Student leadership programme
Walking School Bus resources
- The Walking School Bus pledge - The pledge each child signs when joining a Walking School Bus, agreeing to follow the road safety rules and to listen to the
- Walking School Bus funding application form (English, PDF 88KB). Each WSB is eligible for annual discretionary funding for promotional items, incentives and other materials needed for a successful bus.
- Walking School Bus leaving certificate for children - A4 certificate (English, PDF 64KB) and A5 certificate (English, PDF 516KB). An editable certificate that can be presented to children when they leave the Walking School Bus.
- "We are a Walking School Bus school" poster (English, PDF 150KB). Print out and display this poster at your school to let students and parents know about the Walking School Bus.
- Walking School Bus consent form (English, PDF 261KB). Make sure participants understand guidelines and responsibilities before heading off on the Walking School Bus.