Auckland Transport is looking to stabilise a slip in the Oakley Esplanade Reserve. The project will get underway in July 2023 to carry out these works and will reinstate the shared path on the eastern side of Great North Road while repairing the roadway.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: Central
In February 2020, an active slip in the Oakley Creek Esplanade Reserve started undermining the shared path on Great North Road, which is why the shared path here has been closed for the past 18 months. It is also starting to damage the roadway which requires our works sooner rather than later.
July 2023 – work starts
March 2024 – estimated works completion (weather depending)
Auckland Transport has finalised a design and work programme to fix the problem. This will allow us to reopen the shared path and protect the roadway from further damage.
The work will involve:
- From July 2023, temporarily closing vehicle access to and from Herdman Street.
- Temporarily realigning the two south-bound lanes on Great North Road where they pass the work site, including closing the footpath adjacent the site, for approximately 150 metres.
- These two measures will help create a safe work site.
- Starting in July 2023, move bus stops 8132 and 8133, near the entrance to Herdman Street. Signage will help you find the temporary bus stop locations.
We will also:
- Trim overhanging trees so tall machinery can access and be used within the work site.
- Remove the footpath, kerbing and retaining wall.
- Reposition the Great North Road BP petrol station exit driveway.
- Stabilise the affected footpath and road.
- Reconstruct the shared path and reinstate bus stops.
- Reinstate the petrol station driveway, gardens, the entrance to Herdman Street and the road lanes.
Impacts of the work programme
Works will start in July 2023 and are expected to take 9 months to complete (weather dependent).
Impact on pedestrians:
Pedestrian access in and out of Herdman Street will be always maintained. Throughout the work, pedestrians will need to use the footpath on the western side of Great North Road, but will be able to cross safely to the eastern side of the road at Alford Street.
Pedestrians are asked to follow all directional signage and to take care of children and pets.
Impact on vehicle access to Waterview:
The entrance/exit of Herdman Street, opposite the Great North Road BP, will need to be closed to all traffic for the duration of the project.
The closest alternative, traffic light-controlled entrance into Waterview can be found at Alford Street, 500 meters south from Herdman Street along Great North Road.
Two lanes of traffic in either direction along Great North Road will be maintained at all times.
Access to the BP station will also be maintained at all times.
No night works will occur outside of pre and post-construction phases, lane realignment and lane marking.
For more information on this project
If you’d like to speak to someone about our plans, please get in touch by calling AT on 09 930 5090.