If you want to fly a drone over the road, footpath, berm, or other Auckland Transport (AT) property, you must submit a Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (
- Find out how to apply for permission.
- If you want to complain about a drone.
- To fly a drone in a park or public space, refer to Auckland Council's guidelines.
Operating a drone over the road
AT only allows operators of drones - also known as remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS), unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), or unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) - with Part 102 certification from the Civil Aviation Authority to apply for permission to fly a drone over or around AT-controlled roads or property (this includes car park buildings).
Drone flights are prohibited
- In, near, or above public transport stations.
- On board buses, ferries, or trains.
- On roads around the Auckland Zoo (Motions Road, Western Springs Road and Great North Road).
To apply to fly a drone over AT-controlled roads or property, please submit a Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (
Steps to applying for
- Step 1: Register or login to MyWorkSites.
- Step 2: Create a new application, type: Non-excavation.
- Step 3: Follow the prompts to fill in your application and upload all required documentation (see what documents you need to complete your application).
- You will be able to preview the details of your application before you submit it.
- Step 4: Submit.
- Step 5: Your request will be confirmed and you will be given a unique job number - use this number in all communication and extension requests. You will also be emailed a confirmation of your request containing the job number, the name of your AT contact person, and a summary of your submission.
- Step 6: The AT Corridor Access team will review your application and inform you if there's anything more you need to do.
- Step 7: Your approved
NECARpermit will be emailed to you.
You must upload these documents with your application:
- Flight plans.
Copyof public liability insurance cover.
- Copy of aviation insurance covering the use of a drone
- Part 102 certification.
- A hazard management plan.
- Completed customer accounting application form (PDF 45KB). This form enables AT to add your name to the approved customer invoicing list for the CAR or
NECARfees, which are separate to any fees from 3rd parties for providing plans or other work.
Help with the online application process
For help please refer to the Submitting a Corridor Access Request quick reference guide (PDF 505KB) or watch the instruction video.
You can also use the help information and training videos at MyWorksites.co.nz.
If you still need help using the MyWorkSites website, contact MyWorkSites Support by email support@MyWorksites.co.nz (you will need your job number and work-site address).
All other queries, eg the NECAR application process, terminology, or questions about our policies
If you feel a drone operator has breached the Auckland Council Public Safety and Nuisance Bylaw 2013 or the code of conduct, contact Auckland Council.
If there is an urgent risk to public safety, contact the police.
Any breaches of civil aviation rules must be referred to the CAA.