Using a drone over the road corridor Using a drone over the road corridor

If you want to fly a drone over the road, footpath, berm, or other Auckland Transport (AT) property, you must submit a Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (NECAR) before you do.

AT only allows operators of drones with Part 102 certification from the Civil Aviation Authority to apply for permission to fly a drone over or around AT-controlled roads or property (this includes car park buildings).

Drone flights are prohibited:

  • In, near, or above public transport stations
  • On board buses, ferries, or trains
  • On roads around the Auckland Zoo (Motions Road, Western Springs Road and Great North Road)

Operating a drone over the road

The Association of Local Government Information Management (ALGIM) have created a video on the safety rules and regulations that apply to drone operators in New Zealand.

Watch the ALGIM drone safety video on YouTube.

To fly a drone in a park or public space, refer to Auckland Council's guidelines.


A drone is also known as remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS), unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), or unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).

Apply for permission to operate a drone over roads

To apply to fly a drone over AT-controlled roads or property, submit a Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (NECAR).

*Note: for filming applications with a drone, please contact Screen Auckland. 

You will need to register with MyWorksites before you can submit an application.

When you have a registered with MyWorksites you can submit an application.

  • Step 1: Log in to
  • Step 2: Create a new application, type: Non-excavation.
  • Step 3: Follow the prompts to fill in your application and upload all required documentation. You will be able to preview the details of your application before you submit it.
  • Step 4: Submit.
  • Step 5: Your request will be confirmed and you will be given a unique job number - use this number in all communication and extension requests. You will also be emailed a confirmation of your request containing the job number, the name of your AT contact person, and a summary of your submission.
  • Step 6: The AT Corridor Access team will review your application and inform you if there's anything more you need to do.
  • Step 7: Your approved NECAR permit will be emailed to you.

Help using the MyWorksites website application.

You must upload these documents with your application:

  • Flight plans.
  • Copy of public liability insurance cover.
  • Copy of aviation insurance covering the use of a drone.
  • Part 102 certification.
  • A hazard management plan.
  • Require a Permit from KiwiRail when flying near Railway Lines
  • Email confirmation from Auckland System Management when flying near the Motorway
  • Email confirmation from the School when flying over them.
  • Complete New UAV Standard Conditions (.DOCX 90.5KB)
  • Complete New Form A6a Access Permit (.DOCX 90.5KB)

Complaints about drones and drone operators

If you feel a drone operator has breached the Auckland Council Public Safety and Nuisance Bylaw 2013 or the code of conduct, contact Auckland Council.

If a drone flies above your property without permission or you feel your privacy has been breached, you can make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner or the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

If there is an urgent risk to public safety, contact the police.

Any breaches of civil aviation rules must be referred to the CAA.


Do not enter your credit card number, bank account number, or any other personal financial information.