Skip to Main Content
Auckland Transport

Harbourmaster infringements Harbourmaster infringements

The Harbourmaster is responsible for enforcing the Auckland Council Navigation Safety Bylaw 2014.

Types of harbourmaster infringements

Schedule 1 infringement offences and fees under Auckland Council Navigation Safety Bylaw 2014.

Provision Description of infringement offence
cl 7 Failing to carry sufficient and readily accessible personal flotation devices in good operative condition and of appropriate size for each person on board a recreational vessel $200
cl 8(1) Failing to ensure that each person on board a recreational vessel is wearing a properly secured personal flotation device in circumstances of heightened risk $200
cl 9(1) Failing to wear a properly secured personal flotation device of an appropriate size on board a small recreational vessel $200
cl 11(1) Failing to ensure that any person being towed wears an appropriate personal flotation device, or failing to wear an appropriate personal flotation device while being towed $200
cl 12(1) Failing to nominate a person in charge of the vessel $200
cl 12(3) Operating a vessel while under the influence of alcohol or drugs $200
cl 13(2) Allowing a person under 15 years of age, without supervision, to operate a power-driven vessel capable of exceeding a speed of 10 knots $200
cl 14(1)(a) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel $200
cl 14(1)(b) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water $200
cl 14(1)(c) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots within 200 metres of the shore $200
cl 14(1)(d) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots within 200 metres of any structure $200
cl 14(1)(e) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots within 200 metres of any vessel displaying flag A $200
cl 14(1)(g) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots within any zone specified by the harbourmaster as a 5-knot zone $200
cl 14(1)(h) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots within any mooring zone $200
cl 14(2) Operating a power-driven vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots while any person has a portion of his or her body extending from the vessel $200
cl 15(2) Operating an unseaworthy vessel $200
cl 15(4) Failing to move or remove an unseaworthy vessel as directed by the harbourmaster $200
cl 16(1) Operating a vessel in breach of Maritime Rules Part 22 (Collision prevention) $200
cl 17 Failing to report a collision or accident as required $200
cl 18(1) Jumping, swimming, or diving in certain areas in breach of requirements $200
cl 19(1) Towing without an appropriate lookout $200
cl 19(2) Towing a person or object between sunset and sunrise $200
cl 19(3) Permitting a vessel to continue onwards after a person being towed has dropped a water ski or similar object in certain conditions $200
cl 19(4) Being towed in breach of requirements $200
cl 20(1) Failing to ensure that flag A is properly displayed when dive operations are in progress from a vessel $200
cl 20(2) Failing to ensure that flag A is properly displayed from a buoy when diving unaccompanied by a vessel $200
cl 21(1) Failing to ensure that a recreational vessel's wake, or the wake from any person or object being towed, does not cause danger or risk to any other person, vessel, structure, or navigation aid $200
cl 22(1) Operating a vessel's propulsion system around a wharf, quay, jetty, or pontoon in breach of requirements $200
cl 23(5) Failing to ensure a vessel in an access lane does not obstruct or cause danger to any other vessel or person in the access lane $200
cl 25(1) Failing to obtain prior approval for an event that is likely to affect public use of the water $200
cl 26(3) Obstructing a person using a reserved area for its intended purpose, or entering, remaining in, or using the reserved area for any other purpose $200
cl 27(1) Obstructing any navigable waters or access to any wharf, landing place, boat ramp, slipway, navigational channel, or mooring without prior approval $200
cl 27(2) Placing any obstruction in, over, or near any navigable waters in breach of requirements $200
cl 27(3) Leaving any equipment extending over the side of a vessel so as to cause a hazard to another vessel $200
cl 28(1) Discharging, dropping, or causing or allowing to be discharged cargo or anything into navigable waters that may constitute a danger to navigation safety $200
cl 29(3) Tying a vessel to a navigation aid without prior approval $200
cl 29(4) Damaging, removing, defacing, or interfering with a navigation aid $300
cl 29(5) Erecting a light or structure that may be mistaken as a navigation aid without prior written approval $200
cl 30(1) Fitting or using any lights, sirens, or other sound not prescribed for that vessel $200
cl 30(6) Failing to display an orange flashing light on a fast passenger ferry when required $200
cl 32(1) Operating a vessel while unable to communicate with a land-based person $200
cl 33(1) Failing to ensure visibility of a paddle craft under 7 metres $200
cl 34(1) Failing to identify a vessel in accordance with requirements $200
cl 35(1) Impeding an aircraft that is landing or taking off $200
cl 35(2) Taking off, landing, attempting to take off, or attempting to land an aircraft in certain areas without permission $200
cl 36(1)(a) Anchoring or mooring a vessel in a prohibited anchorage without prior approval $200
cl 36(1)(b) Anchoring a vessel in a restricted anchorage in breach of requirements $200
cl 37(1) Anchoring a vessel in the same or a nearby location for more than 14 consecutive days without prior approval $200
cl 37(2) Leaving a vessel unattended in breach of requirements $200
cl 38(1) Failing to ensure a vessel is adequately secured when not underway $200
cl 38(2) Mooring or anchoring a vessel that causes a hazard or an obstruction $200
cl 38(3) Mooring a vessel in a mooring zone in breach of requirements $200
cl 38(4) Cutting, breaking, destroying, or otherwise tampering with the anchor, mooring, or securing of any vessel $200
cl 39(1) Operating an unregistered personal water craft or failing to display an identification number $200
cl 40(1) Placing a mooring in navigable water without a mooring licence $200
cl 50(2) Failing to obtain approval before commencing hot work operations $200
cl 50(3) Failing to take required precautions before commencing or continuing hot work operations $300
cl 51 Failing to notify the berth operator, and the harbourmaster if requested, of the carriage of dangerous goods at least 48 hours prior to arrival $300
cl 52(2) Failing to notify the harbourmaster 24 hours prior to commencing any bunkering operation from a road tanker or vessel $300
cl 53 Failing to report inoperative or malfunctioning navigational or manoeuvring equipment on a large vessel as required or allowing such a vessel to enter or depart certain areas in breach of requirements $300
cl 54(1) Allowing a vessel under 500 gross tonnage to impede navigation of a large vessel in a pilotage area $200
cl 55(3) Navigating a vessel within the moving prohibited zone of a large vessel $200
cl 56(2) Allowing a large vessel to enter an area of restricted access to large vessels without prior approval $300
cl 58(2) Failing to operate a commercial fast vessel in accordance with an approved Navigation Safety Operating Plan as required $300
cl 59(2) Operating a vessel in Motuihe Channel fast passenger ferry lane in breach of requirements $200
cl 60(2) Operating a power-driven vessel at a speed exceeding 12 knots or using an automatic steering device in the Waitematā Harbour restricted zone $200
cl 61(2) Impeding the passage of specified types of vessels, mooring, anchoring, or fishing in the harbour bridge precautionary area $200
cl 62(2) Operating a vessel at a speed exceeding 5 knots in the Kawau Island restricted speed area $200
cl 63(2) Allowing a vessel to enter the ferry terminal basin in breach of requirements $200
cl 64(1) Allowing a large vessel to cross the Manukau Harbour bar between sunset and sunrise $200
cl 65(2) Loading or discharging explosive substances outside of an approved berth facility or explosives safety zone $300
cl 65(3) Vessel entering explosives safety zone without prior approval $200
cl 65(4) Vessel entering an explosives safety zone when a vessel is showing flag B $200
cl 66(2) Allowing a vessel carrying explosive substances to approach within 200 metres of another vessel in breach of requirements $200
cl 67(1) Failing to display flag B by day or a red light by night when carrying or loading bulk oil or explosive substances $300
cl 68(2) Berthing or mooring an oil tanker otherwise than at a place authorised for bulk oil discharges or failing to comply with requirements while tanker in port $200
cl 69(1) Allowing a tanker to lie within 30 metres of another vessel $300
cl 70(1) Failing to submit pilot log of transits to the harbourmaster annually as required $200
cl 71(1) Any pilot or pilot exempt master failing to use a passage plan as required $200
cl 71(2) Failing to ensure sufficient crew members on the bridge of a large vessel to carry out the passage plan as required $200
cl 72(2) Failing to navigate a vessel within marked channels as required $300
cl 73(1) Operating a commercial vessel for hire or reward without a licence $300
cl 77(2) Failing to comply with a direction given by the harbourmaster, an enforcement officer, an honorary enforcement officer, or the police $200

If you are experiencing family violence, don't worry, the information within this pop-up won't appear in your browser's history.

Privacy policy

We’ve made asking for help safer than ever.

Join us in standing up against domestic violence and making more places of refuge across the internet.

If you, your business or your agency want to have The Shielded Site tab on your site we’ve made adding it very easy.

Click here to find out more. (WARNING: this will take you away from our shielded portal.)


If you are living in fear in your relationship or in your family, there are so many ways we can help you right now. You won’t be turned away even if you don’t have children, a NZ visa, or money. If you still have more questions have a read below and contact us when you’re ready.

I’m ready to talk now.

You can call our 24-hour support and crisis line on 0800 REFUGE (733843). Or, if you prefer, you can click here and contact us discretely through our contact form and we will email you back as soon as possible.

What will I do for money?

There are a number of benefits and allowances you may be eligible for if you are a victim of domestic violence in New Zealand. We can help you better understand your options once you make contact.

I haven’t been beaten up, can Women’s Refuge still help me?

We support women who have experienced any form of domestic violence: verbal, psychological/emotional, sexual, and financial as well as physical. In fact, psychological/emotional abuse is the most common form of domestic violence.

How much does it cost to stay?

Women's Refuge support and advocacy services are free. In the safe house, rent is usually charged once your financial situation is sorted out. Safety is our main concern. You won't be turned away if you don't have any money.

How long can I stay in a safe house?

Some women only stay a night or two, while others stay for weeks. You can talk with the advocates at your local refuge about how long you think you need to stay to ensure your safety.

I don’t live with my partner, but he is abusing me. Can you still help me?

Yes, you don’t have to be living with your partner to experience domestic violence and you can still call us.

What happens if I haven't got any clothes or food?

Women's Refuge has clothing that you can have. We’ve also got toys and books, formula and nappies. You are welcome to use our emergency food until you get your financial situation sorted out.

Will other people be there?

Safe houses usually have other women, including women with their children, staying there. Refuge advocates are around during the day.

How will I get my kids to school?

The advocates at your local refuge will help you work out transport for your children, or help with changing schools.

Can Women's Refuge help me if I stay in my own house?

Yes, we can provide all the same support and advocacy for you no matter where you choose to live. You may be eligible to access support through the Whanau Protect service.

I'm living in a rural area. Can you still help me?

Yes. Find your local refuge and they will be able to arrange support, advocacy and transport for you.

Can Women's Refuge help around issues with children?

Yes. We can provide support and advocacy around matters to do with custody, access and care.


The safest way to browse the internet if you suspect your browsing history is being monitored, is to use your browser’s private or incognito mode.

If you suspect your device has been compromised by spyware, then you should use consider using another device as some spyware may still be able to monitor icognito sessions.

To activate a private browsing session, follow the instructions below.


Open Safari > go to the File menu > select New Private Window

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.


Open Chrome > go to the triple-dot menu (top right of your browser's window) > select New Incognito Window

Internet Explorer

Open IE > click the Tools button > select Safety > and then click InPrivate Browsing

Mozilla Firefox

Open Firefox > click the menu button ☰ > and then click New Private Window

You should see a message in the new window saying that you are now browsing privately.

When finished, don’t forget to close your browser window to ensure your safety and privacy.

Getting out

The most important thing is for you and your children to get out safely. It is important to know that leaving a violent relationship can be one of the most dangerous times for women and children so it is important to make a safety plan around leaving and keep your plans confidential. Below are some tips to help you make a plan.

  • If you can, pack a bag with bare necessities and important documents that you can leave with someone you trust. Include important documents such as passport, birth certificate, bank account details, driver’s licence, and bank cards and other things like medicines.

  • Know abuser's schedule and safe times to leave.

  • Contact us for guidance or a safe place to stay for you and your children.

Getting help

We warmly welcome all women and their children to access our support, advocacy and crisis accommodation. If you need help or have questions, use our live chat to get in touch.

making a plan

The safety of you and your children (if you have them) will be your primary concern. If you’re not ready or cannot safely leave, here are some things you can do to stay safe now.

  • Make a safety plan with the guidance of a refuge advocate.

  • Get yourself a pre-paid phone; keep it charged and safe.

  • Keep photocopies of important documents (passport, birth certificate, bank account details, medical notes, driver's licence, etc) and store these at the home of a supportive friend or family member.

  • Keep a journal of all violent incidents, noting dates and events.

  • If you can, open your own bank account and try to save some money.

  • If you have pets you are worried about, consider them in your safety plan.

Privacy Policy – The Shielded Site Application.


In this privacy policy, the terms ‘NCIWR’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’ refer to National Collective of Independent Women’s Refuges Inc. NCIWR operates this web application at (‘this web application’).

This privacy policy explains how we may collect, store, use, and disclose personal information that we collect and that you provide to us. By using this web application you acknowledge that we may collect, store, use, and disclose your personal information in the manner set out in this privacy policy.

Collection of personal information

We may collect personal information from you when you use this web application, for example when you make a request for contact on this web application.

You may decide not to provide your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services. For example, we may be unable to make contact with you if you do not provide us with your contact information.

Automated collection of non-personal information

When you visit this web application, we will not add traceable elements (such as cookies, sessions, and usage monitoring software) to your browser or device.

Use and disclosure

We will not use or disclose your personal information except in accordance with this privacy policy or the Privacy Act 1993. We may use your personal information to:

  • assist in providing information and services requested by you;

  • communicate with you

Your personal information will only be made available internally for the above purposes. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties. We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you:

  • for the above-mentioned purposes;

  • if you have otherwise authorised us to do so;

  • if we have given you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;

  • if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers and users, or others;

  • if we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information; or

  • to another entity that carries on the business of operating this web application.

Storage and security

All personal information collected on this web application is collected and held by NCIWR. We will endeavour to protect your personal information that is held by us from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.

Third party service providers

This website may be hosted by one or more third party service providers (‘service providers’) who enable us to provide this web application. You acknowledge and agree that any personal information that may be collected on this web application may also be held and used by our service providers on our behalf. Any information collected will be securely sent and securely stored on a server.

Third party websites

This web application may be hosted by websites operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the content of such websites, or the manner in which those websites collect, store, use, or distribute any personal information you provide. When you visit third party websites from hyperlinks displayed on this web application, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide may be collected, stored, used, and distributed.

Right to access and correct

You may request access to, or correction of, any personal information we hold about you by contacting us as follows:
Post:Privacy Officer
PO Box 27-078
Marion Square
Wellington 6141

To ensure that the contact information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to such information as soon as possible.

Contacting NCIWR

Any emergency relating to domestic violence should be directed to 111 for New Zealand Police assistance.

If you request assistance through this website, we will endeavour to respond as soon as we can. If you require advocacy services phone 0800 REFUGE or 0800 733 843 to talk to a refuge in your area within New Zealand. All member refuges of NCIWR are listed on our main website ( If you do visit the Women’s Refuge Website, please note that it is a traceable site so we recommend you use the online safety tips found on this web application to visit safely.

Advocacy services are available at member refuges. Your call and information will be treated in confidence and privacy.

Changes to our privacy policy

We reserve the right, at our discretion, to alter this privacy policy at any time. Changes to this privacy policy will take effect immediately once they are published on this web application. Please check this privacy policy regularly for modifications and updates. If you continue to use this web application or if you provide any personal information after we post changes to this privacy policy, this will indicate your acceptance of any such changes.

This privacy policy was last updated on 6 October 2015.

If You’re In
Immediate danger

If you fear for your safety:

  1. Run outside and head for where there are other people.
  2. Ask someone to call 111
  3. If you have children take them with you if you can
  4. Don't stop to get anything else