Skip to Main Content
Auckland Transport

Apply for a CAR Apply for a CAR

If you are planning to dig in the road, footpath or berm, you must apply for a Corridor Access Request (CAR) before you start.

You will need a CAR if you are excavating, drilling, or resurfacing the road, building a new driveway or installing a new stormwater drain, or have equipment that will encroach onto the road corridor. Check the criteria for lodging a CAR.

Submit CAR applications online at

If your work does not involve digging but will still affect the normal operation of the road corridor, you may need to submit a Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (NECAR).

How to apply

Applications must be made at least 15 working days before work starts.

Submitting an application is not an authority to start work. You must wait until you receive your approved CAR permit by email.

  • Step 1: Register or log in to We recommend the Google Chrome browser. Other browsers (and Internet Explorer in particular) may not work properly with the MyWorksites website.
  • Step 2: Create a new application, type: Excavation.
  • Step 3: Follow the prompts to fill in your application and upload all required plans and customer/payment documents.
    • You will be able to preview the details of your application before you submit it.
  • Step 4: Submit.
  • Step 5: Your request will be confirmed and you will be given a unique job number - use this number in all communication and extension requests. You will also be emailed a confirmation of your request containing the job number, the name of your AT contact person, and a summary of your submission.
  • Step 6: The AT Corridor Access team will review your application and will contact you for your final start date before the work can be approved.
  • Step 7: AT will approve the application and grant you a Works Access Permit (WAP) or let you know if more information is needed.


You will be advised of the fee during the application process and be sent an invoice for payment.

See the list of fees and charges.

Payment options

Utility operators

All fees and charges for work done by, or on behalf of, a utility operator will be paid by that utility operator unless AT approves an exception to this rule.

For example, if you are a sub-contractor applying for a CAR for an activity you are undertaking for WaterCare, then WaterCare will be invoiced for all the fees and charges.

Please contact AT to discuss applying for an exception.

You must provide the correct utility reference or purchase order number as part of your application, otherwise your application will not be processed.

All other applicants

As the applicant, you will be the bill-payer for all activities unless AT approves other arrangements. You must supply your AT customer number (or submit the correct accounting and bill-payer forms) before your application will be processed.

If you do not want to be the bill-payer, for example, you are only the agent of the person or organisation wanting the work done, you have 2 options:

  1. Ask the person or organisation wanting the work done to lodge the CAR themselves (the new applicant must have a valid AT customer number or submit the correct accounting and bill-payer forms).
  2. Ask AT to approve another party as the bill-payer. To demonstrate that the proposed bill payer has agreed to pay for the application, you must submit a completed assignment of bill payer obligations (E2) form with your application. Download the E2 assignment of bill payer obligations form (PDF 524KB)
    • The new bill-payer will also need to have a valid AT customer number or submit the correct accounting and bill-payer forms.

Bill payer and accounting forms

The customer (bill payer) named in any CAR application must be a registered AT customer and have an AT customer number. If you are not already an registered AT customer, you must submit a completed customer accounting application form and a terms of business form with your CAR application.

Customer accounting application form (for approval to invoice)

Download customer accounting application form (PDF 45KB)

Terms of business form

Download the AT terms of business form (PDF 520KB)

Plans needed with your application

Site or lay plan

A site or lay plan must be submitted with all CARs. The plan/diagram must:

  • Be clear and easy to read.
  • Be site-specific and show the full extent of work/activity and services to be installed, for example, in the footpath from outside 124 Smith St to outside 148 Smith St.
  • Show any trees and other above-ground structures, street furniture etc. along the planned lay route.


Traffic Management Plan (TMP)

All CAR applications must be accompanied by a Traffic Management Plan.

TMPs must be designed, set up and monitored by personnel qualified under NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) requirements. You can find service providers by searching online (or in the Yellow Pages) for 'Traffic Management Services'.

Find out more about traffic management plans.

Underground service plans

Before submitting a CAR application, you must get underground service plans for your proposed worksite.

To request underground service plans, visit

Traffic Impact Assessment (TIA)

If the proposed works could significantly impact the operation of the road network or result in a reduction of capacity on the road during peak periods, you will have to commission a Traffic Impact Assessment.

TIAs identify the traffic impacts arising from proposed works and recommend a strategy for minimising the impacts on road users.

TIAs must be prepared by a qualified traffic engineer and be submitted to AT at least 3 months before you intend to start work.

Road closure advertising

All road closures must be publicly advertised. AT coordinate the publishing of these adverts to ensure consistency. A road closure is defined as all lanes closed in both directions.

You will need to fill out the road closure advertising form and upload it with your application and email a copy to

Download the road closure advertising form (Excel XLSX 541KB).

Starting work and closing off when complete

Starting work

Once your CAR is approved you will issued with an accepted Works Access Permit (WAP). With a status of, "Ready to Start".

Note: you may only work within the approved work date window.

When you start work onsite, please notify AT of this by updating the work status. Logon to your MyWorkSites account and use the "Start work" button on the WAP.

Remember to monitor your site regularly to ensure the traffic management is appropriate and WAP is valid. You may need to amend and resubmit your WAP to ensure approval is relevant.

If you are found to have started work but not notified of start you will be charged a non-notification of start fee.

Closing off

As soon has you have completed the work including the appropriate final reinstatement, you are required to notify of completion.

Logon to your MyWorkSites account and update the work status by pushing the "Complete Work" button.

This will issue a works completion notice and automatically notifies the AT Compliance Team so they will arrange an inspection to certify the work is up to standard.

Accepted completion notices will put the work into a 2-year warranty period. If the reinstatement work fails during this period you are liable to correct it.

If the reinstatement is not compliant the completion notice will be rejected and you are liable to rectify this and notify of completion again. This may incur additional charges.

If you fail to notify of completion within 10 working days of completion on site you will be charged a non-notification of completion fee.