Skip to Main Content
Auckland Transport

Apply for a NECAR Apply for a NECAR

If you are planning work or an activity that affects the normal operation of the road, footpath or berm, you may need to submit a Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (NECAR) before you start.

Criteria for Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request

When a NECAR is required

  • Placing a skip, bin or container in the road corridor.
  • Putting up a temporary scaffolding (mobile or fixed).
  • Using or parking machinery such as cranes, cherry pickers and water blasters.
  • Applying for a full or partial road or footpath closure to work on or above the road.
  • Non-excavation activities on Level LV, Level 1, Level 2 and Level 2L roads (if that activity does not affect the normal use of the road corridor).
  • Flying a drone over the road, footpath or berm.

When a CAR is required

    How to apply for NECAR

    Applications must be made at least 15 working days before work starts.

    Submitting an application is not an authority to start work. You must wait until you receive your approved NECAR permit by email.

    All applications must be submitted at

    Register and activate account with MyWorksites

    You will need to register with MyWorksites before you can submit an application.

    How to submit application

    When you have a registered with MyWorksites you can submit an application.

    • Step 1: Log in to
    • Step 2: Create a new application, type: Non-excavation.
    • Step 3: Follow the prompts to fill in your application and upload all required plans and customer/payment documents. You will be able to preview the details of your application before you submit it.
    • Step 4: Submit.
    • Step 5: Your request will be confirmed and you will be given a unique job number - use this number in all communication and extension requests. You will also be emailed a confirmation of your request containing the job number, the name of your AT contact person, and a summary of your submission.
    • Step 6: The AT Corridor Access team will review your application and inform you if there's anything more you need to do.
    • Step 7: Your approved NECAR permit will be emailed to you.

    Help using the MyWorksites website application.


    You will be advised of the fee during the application process and be sent an invoice for payment.

    See the list of fees and charges.

    Payment options

    Utility operators

    All fees and charges for work done by, or on behalf of, a utility operator will be recovered from that utility operator unless AT approves an exception to this rule.

    For example, if you are a sub-contractor applying for a NECAR for an activity you are undertaking for Vector, then Vector will be invoiced for all the fees and charges.

    Please contact AT to discuss applying for an exception.

    You must provide the correct utility reference or purchase order number as part of your application, otherwise your application will not be processed.

    All other applicants

    As the applicant, you will be the bill-payer for all activities unless AT approves other arrangements. You must supply your AT customer number, or submit the correct accounting and bill-payer forms, before your application will be processed.

    If you do not want to be the bill-payer, for example, you are only the agent of the person or organisation wanting the work done, you have 2 options:

    1. Ask the person or organisation wanting the work done to lodge the NECAR themselves (the new applicant must have a valid AT customer number or submit the correct accounting and bill-payer forms).
    2. Ask AT to approve another party as the bill-payer. To demonstrate that the proposed bill payer has agreed to pay for the application, you must submit a completed assignment of bill payer obligations (E2) form with your application. Download the E2 assignment of bill payer obligations form (PDF 524KB)
      • The new bill-payer will also need to have a valid AT customer number or submit the correct accounting and bill-payer forms.

    Bill payer and accounting forms

    The customer (bill payer) named in any NECAR application must be a registered AT customer and have an AT customer number. If you are not already an registered AT customer, you must submit a completed customer accounting application form and a terms of business form with your NECAR application.

    Plans needed with your application

    Site or lay plan

    A site or lay plan must be submitted with all NECARs. The plan/diagram must:

    • Be clear and easy to read.
    • Be site-specific and show the full extent of work/activity and services to be installed, for example, in the footpath from outside 124 Smith St to outside 148 Smith St.
    • Show any trees and other above-ground structures, street furniture etc. along the planned lay route.


    Traffic Management Plan (TMP)

    You must submit a TMP when:

    • the work/activity changes the normal operating conditions of any part of the road corridor (kerb to kerb).
    • the work/activity will prevent normal pedestrian access along a footpath.
    • the work/activity will prevent normal use of a driving or parking lane.
    • if your AT contact requests one when responding to your application.

    TMPs must be designed, set up and monitored by personnel qualified under NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) requirements. You can find service providers by searching online (or in the Yellow Pages) for 'Traffic Management Services'.

    Find out more about traffic management plans.

    Traffic Impact Assessment (TIA)

    If the proposed works could significantly impact the operation of the road network or result in a reduction of capacity on the road during peak periods, you will have to commission a Traffic Impact Assessment.

    TIAs identify the traffic impacts arising from proposed works and recommend a strategy for minimising the impacts on road users.

    TIAs must be prepared by a qualified traffic engineer and be submitted to AT at least 3 months before you intend to start work.

    Starting work and closing off when complete

    Starting work

    Once your NECAR is approved you can start work. Be alert and aware of any potential incidents that could happen.

    Closing off

    There is no requirement to close a NECAR.