Proposal status: Feedback closed 18 May 2020, last updated 15 November 2021.
In November 2020 we advised you that COVID-19 had a significant impact on AT and the wider Auckland Council whānau, and that funding had been constrained so we were not able to estimate a construction date. Funding has now been secured for this project and construction is now planned to begin in November 2021. Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.
In May 2020, we proposed changes to improve safety for pedestrians and young school children at the new Waiatarua Reserve entrance on Abbotts Way, Remuera. After reviewing all the feedback, we are are proceeding with the work as proposed.
What happens next
The proposed changes will proceed to the next stage of detailed design before being implemented.
We will be in touch with you when we know more about how this project will be impacted by the current budget constraints. Once funding is secured, our contractors will send notices to residents or businesses affected by works 48 hours before the work starts.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. A summary of your feedback and our responses to community questions is below.
- Request for broken yellow lines to be added between 145-147 Abbotts Way from Lunn Avenue and College Road. Concerns that heavy vehicles and buses will obscure vision for those trying to enter and exit their driveways. There have been no reported crashes in the last 5 years involving vehicles crashing as they are exiting or entering driveways, due to visibility issues. The crash data suggests that the road way with its existing line marking and parking layout is operating in safe manner. Therefore, we cannot justify any additional changes at this point in time.
- Suggestion for broken yellow lines to be marked on both sides of Winstone's Drive and Kenneth Small Place to restrict cars from parking close to these roads. The crash data suggests that these intersections are operating in a relatively safe manner. Therefore, we cannot justify any changes at this point in time.
- Request for zebra crossing to be installed in order to slow traffic, particularly in an area with lots of young children. There have been no reported pedestrian related crashes at this location in the last 5 years. We are unable to justify a raised crossing facility currently, however the proposed facility will provide a safe informal crossing point for all pedestrians. The proposed crossing facility does not preclude a future upgrade if pedestrian demand is significantly increased as a result of this crossing.
- Request for new road markings to be extended east up Abbotts Way to provide a safe haven for traffic exiting Kenneth Small Place to go east and from Winstone's Drive to go west. There have been two reported non injury crashes at these intersections in the last 5 years. The crash data suggests that the road way with its existing line marking is operating in a relatively safe manner. Therefore, we cannot justify any changes at this point in time. This project has the aim to provide a safe crossing facility for pedestrians wanting to cross to and from the local reserve.
- Concerns that it will push cyclists onto the busy road lane. Lane widths in both directions are at least 4.2 metres which will safely allow cars and cyclists to pass through next to each other.
- Suggestion of improving access to the reserve as it is impossible to enter due to past rabbit problems and wash away of soil. Thank you for your feedback regarding this issue. As this is not within scope of our proposal, we will pass this on to Auckland Council Parks for them to consider.
We proposed improvements in your area
Ōrākei Local Board and Auckland Transport are proposing to install a new pedestrian island and footpath to create safer access to the new Waiatarua Reserve entrance outside of 165 Abbotts Way, Remuera.
The pedestrian island would be a raised platform in the middle of the road which will make it safer and easier to access the reserve.
We are proposing to:
- Create a new footpath to allow people to safely access the reserve.
- Install broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) to ensure the entrance is clear at all times and improve visibility for drivers.
- Install a new pedestrian island to break up the journey and make it safer to cross the road.
This project is supported by the regional fuel tax fund.
Community Safety Fund
This proposal is supported by the Community Safety Fund which is a $20 million programme focused on tackling road safety concerns raised by the community. Auckland Transport is partnering with the Ōrākei Local Board and Ward Councillor Josephine Bartley to deliver this project, which is part of more than 80 locally funded safety improvement projects across Auckland.
Abbotts Way, Remuera - Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Abbotts Way are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).