Proposal status: Construction
Reference number: RSU1819-037C
For details on project construction, please visit the Ponsonby Road and Pompallier Terrace Pedestrian Safety Improvements page.
In November 2022, we proposed upgrades to the Ponsonby Road and Pompallier Terrace intersection to make the road safer for everyone. After receiving community feedback, the work will proceed as proposed.
These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
This proposal is supported with partial funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
What happens next
The proposal will now progress to the next stage of finalising the design. Construction is scheduled for April 2023. We will be in touch with residents and businesses before any construction takes place.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to our consultation. We have received a significant number of responses from the community. The summary of the feedback we received and our responses to them is available for download on this page.
We’re proposing improvements in your area
We’re seeking feedback on a proposal to improve safety for everyone travelling in or through Pompallier Terrace and Ponsonby Road.
We’re proposing to
- Raise the 3 existing zebra crossings and pedestrian island at the Ponsonby Road and Pompallier Terrace intersection.
- Raise the existing zebra crossing by Cowan Street.
- Merge the two left turn lanes on Ponsonby Road, between Cowan Street and Pompallier Terrace, into one lane.
- Realign the traffic island at the crossing by Cowan Street to accommodate the newly raised zebra crossing.
- Install tactile pavers to help visually impaired people find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Install streetlights and signage to support the changes.
- Reconstruct and widen the footpaths as shown.
- Formalise the bus stop outside 281 and 284 Ponsonby Road.
The proposed changes aim to make it easier and safer for people to go to the shops, cafes and restaurants, or the local schools and other community facilities.
- Raised zebra crossings encourage lower speeds, improving safety for everyone, as lower speeds reduce the likelihood of death or serious injury. They will also have long off ramps to make it smoother for large vehicles, like buses, to drive over.
- The proposed raised crossings are a more comfortable way for people to cross the road, especially those in wheelchairs or with pushchairs. Raised zebra crossings also make crossing pedestrians, especially children, more visible to drivers by raising them to eye-level.
- Merging two lanes into one encourages lower speeds by narrowing the road and is something the community requested in the last round of consultation. We also heard requests to raise the crossing near Cowan Street, which we included in this design.
To make these improvements, three parking spaces would need to be removed. We understand removing parking can be inconvenient, so we’ve minimised the removal as much as possible.
- This proposal is supported by the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax.
- In 2018 we asked for your views on a similar proposal and have created a new design based on your feedback.
Ponsonby: Safe with us
This project supports Tāmaki Makaurau’s commitment to Vision Zero, an ambitious transport safety vision, with the goal of no deaths or serious injuries on our transport system by 2050. This approach acknowledges that as people we all make mistakes, however a mistake should not mean someone dies or is seriously injured on our roads. It’s also an approach that values everyone using the road, not just those in vehicles. It is about caring for more vulnerable road users like people walking or cycling, children and the elderly. Vision Zero is the international benchmark for transport safety.