Proposal status: closed 18 October 2018
Reference number: BYL-340
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install No stopping at all times during summer months in Motutara Road, Muriwai as shown on the consultation plan.
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed as parked cars are causing accessibility issues for vehicles due to the narrowness of the road and being a popular beach in summer months. Parking restrictions will keep the area safe and avoid congestion.
This project will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders. After feedback the parking restriction will now start from 1 November to 31 March (8am to 8pm).
- Respondent requested that residents can still park on the verge. Parking on a grass verge is considered illegal as per Road Code. For parking issues, AT Parking Enforcement needs to be contacted for further action on 09 355 3553.
- Respondent suggests more parking needs to be provided for the public. This should be made available at the northern part of the beach. Auckland Transport does not have ownership of properties around Muriwai Beach.
For parking requests at the northern part of Muriway Beach, we suggest the customer to contact Auckland Council, who owns the property.
- Respondent thinks it's a great idea but the problem they see is that it will force parking up Domain Crescent. The yellow lines would need extending up to 5 Domain Crescent. Reason being is that the corner is already blind and if cars park on each side of the road, this will increase the danger of an accident. Domain Crescent does not have any crash history that could justify the need for more parking restrictions. However, Traffic Engineering will be monitoring the road to investigate if further actions are needed.
- Respondent requests no parking on both sides would be great. We understand that parking is a valuable asset for residents and visitors of Motutara Road.
The removal of parking on both sides of Matutara Road could cause safety concerns for road users, as speed could be a potential concern as parked vehicles tend to discourage drivers from speeding as cars parked on either side of the road give drivers the impression of a narrow road, encouraging greater care when driving.
- Please ensure any erected sign posts are not located on or in the verge of properties 370 - 374 Motutara Road. The Traffic Engineering department carefully verified the location of the signs. Due to the high demand for parking, there is a need to install a sign approximately 20 metres from the driveway of property 370 Motutara Road. The sign will benefit all residents of the road, as it will enforce the parking restrictions at the proposed section of the road.
- Respondent suggests the footpath needs to be continued another 100 - 200 metres from the bottom of Waitea Road around the curve of Motutara Road to the walkway that goes up to Domain Crescent. This area is very dangerous to walk with no footpath and is blind to cars entering Waitea Road from the Eastern side of Motutara Road. The suggestion of footpath extension will be sent to AT Walking and Cycling department for further investigation.
This work will happen in November, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.