Proposal status: Feedback closed 24 November 2020
Reference number: MIP1718-037
This project has been put on hold to investigate further design changes that would benefit the community. We will re- consult the community about the proposed changes soon.
We're proposing changes in your area
After a number of comments from residents regarding concerns at this intersection, Auckland Transport has resolved to address the potential safety issues at this intersection through introducing traffic lights, upgrading bus stops and adding broken yellow lines at the Wairau Road, View Road and Kathleen Street intersection.
- Upgrade the existing bus stops on Wairau Road.
- Install pedestrian and vehicle traffic lights on all four legs of the intersection.
- Build new footpaths at the crossings.
- Install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) along Wairau Road, which will remove 7 parking spaces.
The traffic lights at this intersection will provide safe crossing facilities for pedestrians as there are currently no safe crossing points in the area and pedestrians are forced to cross three busy lanes of traffic on Wairau Road. The traffic lights will also help drivers turning right from Wairau Road onto View Road as drivers reportedly found this difficult. The broken yellow lines will allow greater visibility for drivers and support these changes. The bus stop upgrade will also allow greater pedestrian access and removing the bay will keep to current safety plans. Overall, the proposed changes will help support all road users at this location.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- These changes were proposed after numerous requests from local residents and road users to improve safety in the area.
- While raising the intersection was considered, we did not proceed with this option as Wairau Road is used by many heavy vehicles and raising the intersection would cause difficulty for these drivers.
Glenfield: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Glenfield are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).