Slips - what you need to know Slips - what you need to know

We’ve put together some general information about slips.

  • In the first instance, we encourage you to get in touch with your insurance provider as soon as possible.
  • AT is responsible for managing the Auckland Transport System which includes public roads.
  • From time-to-time storm events cause minor and major damage to public roads and private property across the wider Auckland region.
  • When this happens, AT undertakes a process of assessing the extent of damage to public roads and then prioritizing repair work as fast as possible.
  • In the case of private land damaged from recent storm events, AT is not responsible for repairing that damage.

On this page

Location clarification of slips

Slips on a public road or footpath

If a slip has caused a blockage on a public road or public footpath, call our Customer Care team on 09 355 3553 or contact us online. 

Photo showing a slip on a footpath in Titirangi Village Photo of safety signage used for people so that they are aware the footpath is closed due to a footpath slip in Titirangi Village
Footpath slip in Titirangi Village

Slips on private land

  • The owner of private land is responsible for repairing damage to their own land including repairing any slips on their land due to storm events.  That work may require the landowner to stabilise their own land to prevent further slips on it. 
  • Vehicle crossing repair (where the driveway leaves the legal boundary of a property and continues until it meets the road. It allows vehicles to cross over berms or footpaths to access the road) and reinstatement is the responsibility of private landowners. Private landowners are directed to clause 29(7) and (8) of the AT Activities in the Road Corridor Bylaw 2022
  • If a private landowner has constructed an accessway to their property on an unformed road (either with or without the approval of AT) AT is not responsible for maintaining or repairing that accessway.  It is an offence under the Local Government Act 1974 to do work on the road without AT’s approval.   
  • In the case of private land or property damaged in recent storm events, the owner of that land or property should contact their insurance provider to discuss the damage. 
  • A private landowner may be able to make a claim with EQC for slips on their land. A private landowner should contact EQC to find out if they qualify for cover.
  • If a private landowner is unsure where their property boundary exists, they should get in touch with Auckland Council through their website or over the phone on 09 301 0101

A photo of a slip on private land in Titirangi
Slip on private land in Titirangi​

Slips affecting both public and private land

  • Where a slip affects both private property and public roads, this may require discussions between the private landowner and AT as to repairs.  
  • Any private assets (such as garages, fences and other structures) located on the road require AT’s approval for that encroachment. Those assets (including their repair) are the responsibility of the private landowner.  
  • Repairing damage to a driveway is the responsibility of the private landowner.  
  • Repairing damage to a vehicle crossing is the responsibility of the private landowner. See AT Activities in the Road Corridor Bylaw 2022. 
  • In the first instance, private landowners should ask their insurance providers what is covered by their insurance. 
  • To determine your boundary, get in touch online with Auckland Council or over the phone 09 301 0101.  

Steps if you've been affected by a slip

  1. Is it an emergency?

    • If it’s causing an immediate safety risk call 111.  
    • If you can smell gas call 111.  
    • If the ground on the public road or footpath looks unstable and has a risk of moving or a slip is about to happen, call our Customer Care team on 09 355 3553.  
    • If you have no power, call your electricity provider.  
    • If a dangerous hazard is posed by the electricity network (such as damaged poles or downed/clashing power lines) contact Vector or Counties Energy  
    • If your water pipe is broken- turn off the mains and contact Watercare 09 442 222.  
  2. Staying safe in a slip

    • Stay away from the slip area. This is dangerous and should be avoided.  
    • Follow signs and stay behind safety barriers.  
    • Please do not attempt to travel through closed sections of the road. This can cause further damage and risk to your safety and the safety of others.  
    • Sightseeing is discouraged especially in Resident-only access areas. This puts already vulnerable roads under stress and causes safety risks. Access is only for those who live in these areas.  
    • Have a plan and be ready to leave quickly if you need to, especially in areas prone to slips.  
    • Do not attempt to voluntarily clear fallen trees or debris, excavate slips or roads in these areas. It is unsafe. Please leave it to emergency response crews and contractors as they have safety assessment procedures in place. Whilst it can look safe, there can be stability issues in the ground beneath.  
    • In some places, it’s unsafe to open the road to even one lane of traffic, due to the nature of the damage, and the unknown stability of the remaining road surface.  
    • If you think it will be a safety risk, call 111. 

Complexity around large slips and the time it takes to fix them

  • Slips can’t always be fixed quickly, especially when they’re in remote areas with limited access.  
  • We need to investigate and assess sites that require technical expertise, which can take time.  
  • This information helps us to come up with a plan on what’s the best way to repair the damage.  
  • We need to contact those affected in neighborhoods and communities, including landowners, residents and the general public, take feedback on board and keep everyone updated.  
  • We can then assess if the road can be fixed quickly or temporarily and re-opened when safe albeit with restrictions until the permanent repairs start.  

Steps to repair large slip include:

  1. Initial Geotech assessment – this is done when the slip first occurs if we’re concerned about the immediate stability of the slip. We do this to assess the best way of clearing the slip.  
  2. The slip is cleared, the area is made safe, and we monitor the slip to see if there is any additional movement – this may require more geotechnical assessments to confirm.  
  3. After a while, when the slip face settles and things dry out a bit, we will undertake a review of the slip face. This is when we start to understand a few things like the potential cause of the slip, high level remediation options and start to think about how we progress the remediation.
  4. If we decide that some remediation work is required (eg a retaining wall), we then need to factor how this will fit into our existing programme of work and budgets.  
  5. When we know the priority of the job, we can then programme it in and undertake the design process.  
  6. The design then goes out to tender so we can get contractors on board and only then will any serious construction work begin.  
  7. Depending on the size, complexity and priority of the individual situation, this process could be as quick as a few months up to a few years to complete.  

Earthquake Commission (EQC) responsibility

  • The Earthquake Commission (EQC) is a New Zealand Crown entity that provides insurance to residential property and invests in natural disaster research and education. 
  • If your home is insured, you may be covered by EQC for a natural landslip. For more information go to EQC on its website or call on 0800 DAMAGE (0800 326 243)