Priority lanes are on-ramp lanes heading onto the motorway where vehicles with 2 or more people can bypass the ramp signal. Priority lanes can also be used by buses, trucks, and motorcycles.
The lanes encourage car-sharing and the use of public transport, helping move more people and reduce the number of vehicles on the road.
Priority on-ramp lanes are managed by the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA).
From 6 to 20 March 2017, NZTA is running a trial that allows electric vehicle drivers access to 5 priority bypass lanes in Auckland. Find out more about the trial on the NZTA website.
Priority on-ramp lanes in Auckland
- Mt Wellington northbound.
- South Eastern Highway northbound.
- Hilldene Road northbound.
- Lincoln Road eastbound.
- Te Atatu Road eastbound.
- Great North Road eastbound.
- Great North Road westbound.
- Greville Road southbound.
- Constellation Drive southbound.
- Coronation Road northbound.
- Onehunga Harbour Road northbound.
- Neilson Street southbound.
- Rimu Road northbound.