To provide greater parking availability and flexibility, Auckland Transport (AT) is proposing a residential parking zone in Herne Bay.
Auckland Transport is proposing a residential parking zone in Herne Bay to provide greater parking availability and flexibility for residents, businesses, and visitors. Parking surveys have shown high occupancy rates in these areas where some streets are close to full during peak times. We have also heard feedback from residents that they are struggling to get a park.
The Herne Bay residential parking zone proposed includes:
- Time restrictions of two hours (P120), Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (excluding public holidays and weekends).
- The time restriction will only apply to vehicles that do not have permits or coupons.
- The P120 time restriction will replace most the existing parking restrictions in the area.
- Provide greater parking availability and flexibility for residents, businesses, and visitors.
- The two-hour time restriction supports parking for business customers and casual residential visitors, while not allowing for non-resident all day parking.
- Reduce congestion from vehicles driving around looking for parking spaces.
- Less circling vehicles should also improve pedestrian safety in the area.
- Reduce incidences of parked vehicles obstructing driveways, as vehicles do not have to park in marginal spaces.
The roads we are proposing a residential parking zone to include:
Westwood Terrace, Shelley Beach Road, Curran Street. Emmett Street, Tweed Street, Sarsfield Street, Hamilton Road, Sentinel Road, Lawrence Street, Wallace Street, Salisbury Street, Albany Road, Ardmore Road (part of), Wanganui Avenue (part of).
Timeline for the proposal
- 23 June 2021- consultation opens.
- 1 August 2021 - consultation closes.
- November 2021 - consultation feedback published.
- Mid-2022 - residential parking zone implemented.
About residential parking zones
A residential parking zone is a collection of residential streets upon which a parking restriction is applied. It allows short term parking for visitors, and all-day parking for coupon and permit holders. Within the residential parking zone all residents and businesses can apply for a parking permit, which will exempt them from the time restrictions. They can also obtain parking coupons that allow visitors to be exempt from the restrictions for a day.
The permits fee is $70 per vehicle, valid for one year. The number of permits is capped; some or all permits may be granted, depending on availability. Residential properties can apply for as many permits as there are vehicles registered to the address. Businesses within the zone can apply for 1 parking permit.
Find out more information on permits and coupons below:
After carefully considering all feedback received through the consultation, Auckland Transport will proceed with the residential parking zone in Herne Bay. The decision to proceed was based on the majority of residents in the proposed zone supporting the changes (52.5%).
The Herne Bay residential parking zone will be implemented with three key changes:
- Salisbury Reserve will be included in the Herne Bay residential parking zone
- The Ponsonby resident parking zone will be extended to include the area on the south side of Jervois Road.
- The extended Ponsonby resident parking zone will also include Trinity Street and the full length of Albany Road, Ardmore Road and Wanganui Avenue. This is different to what was proposed during consultation.
It is expected that the residential parking zone will be implemented by mid-2022. Residents in the affected area will be notified ahead of time.