Consultation status: Open until 5 November 2021
Reference number: VRU2022-016
We're proposing improvements in your area
We are planning improvements to the intersection of Leighton Street and Rose Road, Grey Lynn.
We are proposing to:
- Extend the footpath on all four corners of the Leighton Street and Rose Road intersection. This will provide crossing points for pedestrians at the intersection. Drivers are not required to stop for pedestrians. This will result in the loss of one legal on-street parking space.
- Install kerb ramps on all four corners of the intersection. Kerb ramps allow people to easily move between the footpath and the road. The kerb ramps will also have tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Paint new stop lines where Leighton Street meets Rose Road, these will mark the give way restrictions for drivers on Leighton Street who are approaching the intersection.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. Over the past 5 years, the intersection of Leighton Street and Rose Road has had one serious and one minor injury crash. The main cause of these crashes was motorists failing to give way at the intersection. This proposal aims to alert drivers to the give way restrictions in place at the intersection, to improve the safety of all road users travelling through the intersection. In addition, the formalised crossing points will provide pedestrians with a safe place to wait to cross the road, that is visible to motorists. The formalised crossing points will also improve the driver’s visibility of oncoming traffic on Rose Road. Removing one on-street parking space is necessary to support these changes at the intersection. We understand removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it to Freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Leighton Street and Rose Road, Grey Lynn: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Leighton Street and Rose Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).