Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: RTV-444
In October 2022, we proposed changes to improve road safety at the Boundary Road and Hunua Road intersection. These changes were proposed as this intersection is deemed to be high risk.
After reviewing all your feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed.
What happens next
We anticipate the changes will be constructed in March to April 2023. We will be in touch with local residents and businesses before any construction takes place.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood. We appreciate your valuable local insights on this project and would like to work with you to make the Boundary Road and Hunua Road intersection accessible and safer for all. Here is a summary of the comments and queries we received on our proposal and our responses to them:
- Suggestion to avoid raised islands and the raised crossing as this road has a large volume of trucks and trailers from quarry and concrete plants. They will need to go over the roundabout.
We’ve ensured that large and heavy vehicles have room to travel through the intersection. The mountable apron provides a lower edge around the central roundabout, which large vehicles can drive over to make passing through the intersection easier. The departure ramps from the intersection are long and not steep, which means a smooth drive for any vehicle, especially larger ones.
We're proposing improvements in your area
As part of our work to improve road safety, we are proposing changes at the Boundary Road and Hunua Road intersection.
We are proposing to:
- Upgrade the existing give-way controlled intersection to a raised roundabout with pedestrian crossings on all roads connecting to the intersection. Raised safety platforms will also be installed at roundabout entry points which will encourage safer speeds.
- Reconstruct the footpath at this intersection.
- Install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Paint broken yellow lines to improve visibility at the intersection. This will result in the removal of 13 on-street parking spaces.
How this will benefit your neighbourhood
The Boundary Road and Hunua Road intersection has been identified as high risk. 10 crashes have been reported over five years between 2015 to 2019 due to loss of control and failure to give way.
The proposed raised roundabout with pedestrian crossings on all legs will lower speeds, making the intersection safer for all road users. The proposed raised crossings also improve safety by making crossing pedestrians more visible to drivers.
These improvements would remove 13 on-street parking spaces near the intersection to improve visibility. We acknowledge this can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal of parking as much as possible.
This project is funded by Auckland Regional Fuel Tax.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Papakura: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Boundary Road and Hunua Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).