Proposal status: Feedback open until 29 June 2023
Reference number: RTV-482
We're proposing improvements in your area
In response to community requests to improve parking availability and flexibility, we are proposing to extend the Grey Lynn Residential Parking Zone (RPZ) to include:
- 194 to 244 Richmond Road
- 215 to 247 Richmond Road
- Both sides of Westmoreland Street East
The Grey Lynn RPZ has a time restriction of 2 hours (P120), and operates from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. Residents living within the RPZ can apply for a residential parking permit or coupons which will exempt them from the time restriction. Read more about RPZs here.
The proposed RPZ extension aims to:
- Provide greater parking availability for residents and visitors. The 2-hour time restriction supports parking for business customers and casual residential visitors, while preventing non-resident long-term parking.
- Reduce the number of vehicles driving around looking for parking spaces. Fewer circling vehicles should also reduce noise, pollution, and improve pedestrian safety.
- Discourage parked vehicles from obstructing driveways, as more parking will be available.
The proposed extension area would be subject to the same terms and conditions as the existing Grey Lynn RPZ, including a yearly permit application fee.
What happens next
- We’ll consider to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- We are also seeking feedback on a separate proposal to install paid parking nearby on Westmoreland Street West. For more information visit our Westmoreland Street West, Grey Lynn – Paid Parking page.
Grey Lynn: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Richmond Road and Westmoreland Street East are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).