The Strand Optimisation Project The Strand Optimisation Project
The Strand Optimisation Project is a joint Waka Kotahi and Auckland Transport project. The project runs along The Strand between Alten Road and Tāmaki Drive in Auckland. This is a short-term project that aims to improve travel choices, efficiency for freight and safety for all along this corridor.
With the predicted future population growth in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland, there will be greater travel demand on our existing networks and infrastructure. This means we need to optimise our current transport corridors by using the space we have more efficiently.
The Strand optimisation project aims to:
- improve travel choice by creating a safe, separated shared path from Alten Rd to Tāmaki Drive for people who walk and cycle
- improve efficiency for freight and high-occupancy vehicles by creating a Special Vehicle Lane
- improve safety for all users.
Making these changes would see:
- 25,000 to 30,000 additional freight tonnes per day moving along the road
- 50% increase in cyclists with 70 - 80 new cycle trips per day
- a reduction in serious injuries over 10 years.
Map showing project details from Alten Road to Tāmaki Drive.
Download large map (PDF 223KB)
Find out more
If you would like to know more about the proposed improvements please go to The Strand Optimisation page on the Waka Kotahi website.