The Rodney Transport Targeted Rate (RTTR) was introduced mid-2018 to accelerate transport investment in the Rodney Local Board Area. Ring-fenced for transport projects not included in the Regional Land Transport Plan (RLTP), the RTTR supports and funds transport services identified as a priority by the Rodney community.
- Find out about the RTTR.
- Accessible resources.
- View the timetable for Wellsford and Warkworth 998 (PDF 1.2MB).
- View the timetable for Helensville to Hibiscus Coast station 128 (PDF 2.5MB).
- View the brochure and timetable for Westgate to Albany via Riverhead and Coatesville 126 (PDF 428KB).
- Download the project plans for Warkworth Community Transport Hub.
Project status: Implementation - last updated 22 March 2021.
Project zone: North / North-West.
The Rodney Transport Targeted Rate was introduced by Auckland Council in 2018 after extensive community consultation. The $150 per annum rateable property charge is projected to raise $41 million over ten years to pay for new bus services and bus stops, park and ride facilities and footpaths.
Transport Targeted Rate Projects
New bus services
Three new bus routes have been introduced:
- Route 998 bus service between Wellford and Warkworth – Introduced February 2019
- Route 128 bus service between Helensville and Hibiscus Coast Station – Introduced February 2019
- Route 126 bus service between Westgate and Coatesville – Introduced May 2019.
Eighteen new bus stops have been installed to support these bus routes, several following specific requests from the community.
All three bus service passenger usage numbers met or exceeded patronage targets during their first year of service.
Park and Rides
Two new Park and Ride facilities are planned for Warkworth and Kumeu/Huapai to support local bus services and address parking congestion.
- The Warkworth Community Transport Hub, 80 Great North Road, Warkworth will feature 137 car parks (including 15 short term and four for accessible parking), a bus layover, two bus stops, footpaths, a signalised pedestrian crossing across Great North Road, two toilet blocks, bike parking, lighting and CCTV – Design, consents and contracts completed
- A tender exercise to appoint a contractor to deliver the project is currently underway. This is expected to be done towards by April 2021.
- Kumeū /Huapai Park and Ride – Under investigation.
The Rodney Local Board has approved $7.3 million to design and build footpaths in Kumeū, Dairy Flat, Wellsford and Warkworth subdivisions over the next 2 years.
A key priority for the local board and Rodney’s communities is expanding the footpath network in and between towns and villages to make it safer and easier for people to get around.
Criteria for footpath funding includes footpaths situated on busy school routes, on well-used pedestrian routes and that link existing areas to new developments.
Footpaths are funded by the local board’s transport capital fund and its transport targeted rate. While Emergency Budget cuts have reduced the size of the capital fund, the targeted rate fund is intact. The targeted rate is ring-fenced for transport projects in Rodney and is allocated equitably by subdivision.
New footpaths approved to date for design and construction and their estimated costs (through the Rodney Local Board Transport Targeted Rate Fund) are:
Rodney Targeted Rate Fund approved footpath programme
|Road Name||Section||Budget Approved||Month Approved|
|Alice Street (Riverhead)||Full length||$474,000||November 2020|
|Coatesville Riverhead Highway (Dairy Flat)||Opposite Coatesville Village||$340,000||November 2020|
|Dairy Flat Highway (Dairy Flat)||Outside Dairy Flat School||$440,000||November 2020|
|Hudson Road (Warkworth)||Albert to SH1||$398,000||November 2020|
|Newton Road (Riverhead)||Full length||$763,000||November 2020|
|Omaha Drive (Omaha)||Pioneer to NW Anchorage||$645,000||November 2020|
|School Road (Wellsford)||School to No. 65 (sub station)||$257,000||November 2020|
|Dairy Flat Highway (Dairy Flat)||School to Postmans Road||$1,007,000||December 2020|
|Goodall Road (Warkworth)||Mahurangi Road to No. 20||$458,000||December 2020|
|Leigh Road (Warkworth)||No. 578 to Ashton Road||$363,000||December 2020|
|Puhoi Road (Warkworth)||Church to Puhoi Close||$757,000||December 2020|
|Rodney Street (Wellsford)||No. 68 to Centennial Park Road||$1,426,000||December 2020|
At the end of June 2020 approximately $8.5 million of the targeted rate had been collected with $5 million spent. The planned capital reserve will meet a sharp rise in forecast expenditure over the next 2 years to construct additional bus stops, Park and Rides and new footpaths while continuing to support bus services.
The table below outlines the entire programme total amounts of targeted rate collected and spent to 30 June 2020 per Rodney Local Board subdivision:
|Total expenditure to date|
Up to June 2021
Up to October 2020
Auckland Transport provides regular updates on the delivery of targeted rate transport priorities to the Rodney Local Board.
- New Wellsford and Warkworth bus service accessible brochure - 18pt (PDF 245KB).
- New Wellsford and Warkworth bus service accessible brochure (TXT 8KB).
- New Westgate to Albany bus service accessible brochure - 18pt (PDF 32KB).
- Warkworth Kowhai Coast Wellsford Northern Bus Timetable.
Audio version of the AT Metro - New bus service for Wellsford and Warkworth brochure.