Long term road repairs from Auckland storms Long term road repairs from Auckland storms
In January and February 2023, storm flooding and Cyclone Gabrielle caused considerable damage to roads, footpaths and cycleways, with over 1300 slips reported across Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland.
We’re still working hard to repair the damage which has been extensive in West Coast Beach communities and those living in the Waitākere Ranges area.
You’ll find information and progress updates on road repairs in your community here. These are long-term repairs which means it will take more than six months to fix.
We ask for your patience as there are many sites across the region that have significant damage. Locations that have the highest risk, and safety needs, or are the only access to a community, are prioritised for attention.
In some locations, we’ve been able to provide a temporary fix, such as one-lane access to enable access for residents or the wider community, until we can permanently rebuild the road.
We understand road damage is causing inconvenience to residents, due to detours and road closures and want to reassure the community, that we’ve deployed as many resources as possible (including additional contractors) to work on these sites but there are roads that will take significant time to fully repair.
If there are road issues with a potential safety risk (for example new slips, cracks in roads, flooding, or trees falling over roads/cycleways), call us on 09 355 3553 or report the problem online.
Updates on repairs
View all the roads affected across the Auckland region including Waiheke and Aotea Great Barrier Island.
The road repair process
Find out the difference between the types of road repairs we do and any other FAQs you might have.
Slips - what you need to know
If you’ve been affected by a slip, we explain how slips are clarified.
Report a problem with us
Report a problem online for any roading problems you might see.
Media & news
Read our latest media releases on the storm and flood impacts from around Auckland.
- Information on unformed roads.
- For Bus services that have detours or are suspended due to recent storms visit our Service Announcements page.
- To report a new issue relating to roads, cycleways, footpaths or transport please use the online form on the Contact page.
- For transport alerts, as they happen, sign up for travel alerts or check out our twitter page @AT_TravelAlerts.
- For the latest information on state highway closures and disruptions, visit Waka Kotahi Journey Planner.
- To find out whether your bus stop or public transport services are affected, please visit our Service Announcements page or download our AT Mobile app.
- For information on affected Auckland Council services & facilities including parks and walkways visit their Interruption's page.
- For anyone in need of emergency help call Auckland Emergency Management on 0800 22 22 00 or if your life is in danger call 111.
- For Auckland Emergency Management information, including cordons coordinated by AEM, visit Piha and Muriwai.
- To report or check power outages in your area visit Vector or Counties Energy.