Have your say on making Ponsonby Road more people friendly.
Project status: Consultation - feedback open until 6 December 2020
Project zone: Central
We want to work together with the community to trial people friendly spaces and safer ways to travel on Ponsonby Road. This could include creating more fun, thriving spaces for people to spend time, and making it easier, more accessible, and safer to move around on bike, foot or public transport.
The changes will be made through quick, tasteful improvements, and can be trialled as a transition for long term projects. Similar projects in Auckland can be seen in the city centre on High Street, Federal Street, and Sale Street.
- November 2020 – Public feedback
- December 2020 – Co-design - This will bring a diverse group of around 20 members of the community together to look at feedback from with wider public and further develop ideas
- Early – mid 2021 – Detailed design, temporary changes installed, street activations, monitoring
We want to hear from the people who live, work, and play in Ponsonby about issues and opportunities you see for making Ponsonby Road more people friendly.
The project area has not yet been defined - but with a limited budget, we will have to focus on a specific area or areas along Ponsonby Road. Head to our Ponsonby Road Innovating Streets for People feedback page before 6 December to tell us which parts of Ponsonby Road could do with some love.
Follow the instructions on the page to leave your feedback.
You can also express an interest in joining our community co-design group by leaving your details.
This co-design group will bring a diverse group of around 20 members of the community together to look at feedback from with wider public and further develop ideas.
Time commitment would be 3 x 3 hour sessions during three separate weeknights in late November-Mid December this year.
Innovating Streets for People on Andrews Avenue, Hutt City
Credit: Cyndi Christensen, Julie Fairfield Hutt City Council
Innovating Streets for People on Trafalgar Street, Nelson
Changes could include things like extra space for on street dining, safer crossing opportunities, bike routes, and more space for play. These could be created with street furniture, artwork, planters and more.
The Ponsonby Road Plan was adopted by the Waitematā Local Board in 2014. Aligned with the plan, our project will set out to:
- Make Ponsonby more vibrant
- Make it safer and easier to travel on bike or foot
- Create more open space for people
- Reflect and protect Ponsonby's unique history and culture.
- We will be gathering public feedback by talking to people on Ponsonby Road, via our Social Pinpoint page, and by phone, to understand the different ways people use the area, and gather ideas for improvements.
- We will form a co-design group of 18-24 volunteers to cover a wide range of different uses and backgrounds. This group will help develop ideas based on public feedback.
- Ideas will be developed and improved upon over the coming months with temporary changes expected to be in place soon thereafter.
- We will hold a launch event once the temporary changes are in place, and invite people to tell us what they think. We will also monitor how people interact with the changes to see how well the changes are performing.
- This project is aligned with AT’s strategic safety goals as outlined in the Vision Zero principles. An objective of Vision Zero is to have a transport system free of death and serious injury by 2050.
- We will use the learnings from the trial to inform longer term changes to Ponsonby Road in the future.