Have your say on making Ponsonby Road better.
Project status: Consultation
Round 1 of feedback closed 10 December 2020.
Round 2 of feedback will be open 3 March to 17 March 2021.
Project zone: Central
We are working with the community to trial safer ways to travel and to create a more vibrant Ponsonby Road. After feedback from the public in late 2020 and three community design workshops held during late 2020 and early 2021, the section of Ponsonby Road between Anglesea Street and Williamson Avenue has been confirmed as the focus area for the project.
The changes will be temporary, installation will be quick, and adjustments can be made once the changes are in place.
We are making a conscious effort to do things differently on this project by allowing people to try out potential changes before making them more permanent. It’s an exercise in testing and learning together with the different users of Ponsonby Road so, we can get a sense of what the future of Ponsonby Road could look like.
- Draft designs will be up on our Social Pinpoint soon, where you will be able to provide your feedback before March 17.
- We are working with experts, businesses, and the community to further develop these ideas.
- Following March 17, detailed designs will be created, materials will be sourced, and engagement will continue.
- We are aiming for changes to be in place by mid-2020.
- We will hold an open day if possible, monitor the impact of the changes, and allow for adjustments to be made in response to public feedback.
- November 2020 – Public feedback.
- December 2020 – February 2021 - Co-design - This brings a diverse group of around 264 members of the community together to look at feedback from the wider public and further develop ideas.
- March 2021 - Public feedback.
- Early – mid 2021 – Detailed design, temporary changes installed, street activations and monitoring.
Over November and December 2020 we engaged with the community via numerous stakeholder meetings, hui with Mana Whenua, a Social Pinpoint webpage where people could pin ideas on a map, one week of on street interviews, an article and advertisement in the Ponsonby News, brochures delivered to the surrounding area, posters on Ponsonby Road, and a stall at Ponsonby Market day.
We received 1119 comments on our Social Pinpoint page and conducted 431 on-street interviews on Ponsonby Road.
To understand the different views and needs of the community, we assembled a community design group of 26 people, including business representatives from the local business association, residents associations, the Waitematā Local Board, and other members of the community. The group met three times between December 2020 and February 2021 to read through the public feedback, identify opportunities for change, consider which sections of Ponsonby Road are most suited for trialling changes, and to come up with ideas for what these temporary changes might be.
The community design group has developed ideas that include safer crossings, new trees and plants, colour, artwork, safer ways to travel on bike and foot, improvements to loading zones and Uber pick-ups, and nicer places to sit and spend time. With limited time and budget, we won’t be able to implement all of these changes, and your feedback will be helpful in determining which changes are trialled.
- This project is aligned with AT’s strategic safety goals as outlined in the Vision Zero principles. An objective of Vision Zero is to have a transport system free of death and serious injury by 2050.
- We will use the learnings from the trial to inform longer term changes to Ponsonby Road in the future.
The Ponsonby Road Plan was adopted by the Waitematā Local Board in 2014. Aligned with the plan, our project will set out to:
- Make Ponsonby more vibrant;
- Make it safer and easier to travel on bike or foot;
- Create more open space for people;
- Reflect and protect Ponsonby's unique history and culture.